Iron supplements

PatXYZ
on 11/28/11 6:27 am
I see on the Vitalady DS schedule that 300mg of carbonyl iron is recommended per day. Has anyone found that to be too much and had to scale down? I'm also curious whether anyone uses Proferrin (or another heme iron) instead and how much of it they need to take to keep their levels up? I'm trying to decide which to go with.

I'm going into surgery with very good levels after supplementing 30mg a day this fall (I get temporary lows due to occasional abnormal menstrual bleeding, but that is now under control with an IUD) and am looking to maintain them.
MajorMom
on 11/28/11 6:38 am - VA
The only way I was able to bring up my iron was on 300mg of carbonyl iron (mid afternoon) and Proferrin (bed time). The combo has worked wonders for me. My RD suggested we try 240mg of carbonyl and a Proferrin every other day to see if I can hold my numbers. I'll check that in Jan.

It took me a couple of years to get the iron levels up, so I would start with Vitalady's 300mg of carbonyl and a Proferrin and star****ching your labs. Also, when you start adding your iron after your surgery, do it very slowly. Add maybe one capsule a wee****il you get to the full dose. Actually, you want to start all of Vitalady's plan slowly. You don't have to rush into it the first 2 weeks post op.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PatXYZ
on 11/28/11 9:25 am
You're saying you needed to bring yours up when you were taking 300, and are now doing 240 plus a proferrin just to maintain. Wow, that's more than I expected. Do you also eat a diet with much iron? From looking at the ASMBS info I was planning on 90mg carbonyl to start, and then add proferrin if needed after my 3 and 6 month labs, but it seems like that is very low and I should expect tanking numbers if that's all I take!

Do you take all of the 240mg carbonyl all at once? Is there a limit to how much we can 'uptake' from a single dose with iron? (Like with say, calcium that has to be split into several doses). Will we get more of a 'bang' from the dose if the doses are split up?
MajorMom
on 11/28/11 9:38 am - VA
Yep, just to see if I can maintain on 240mg. Jan labs will tell for sure, if I sink, I have to go back to 300mg carbonyl. I think post op, you'll want to start on Vitalady's plan and see if your iron and ferritin go up or go down. ASBMS vitamin recommendations are inadequate.

I take all the carbonyl at one time just like Vitalady's plan calls for. Problem with iron is that you need to take it away from your other vitamins, no dairy, caffeine, eggs, or whole wheat. I need to take my other vitamins and extra calcium, so I wouldn't even have time to take iron more than once or twice a day.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

mrsannie
on 11/28/11 8:40 pm
 I started to have issues with low iron, and saw a hemotologist, he said:

Only use Carbonyl iron (like Feosol) it's the best/easiest for us to absorb.  He also told me I should take at least 4 pills (180mg.) per day.

Also (which I did not know): 
Take on an empty stomach
Take as far from your antacid as possible
DO NOT take with in 2 hours of a dairy product
Take with Vitamin C (Iron needs acidic environment)
If you are taking it at night, do not lay down for at least 15 minutes

This was my advice, hope it helps.

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
PatXYZ
on 11/28/11 9:38 pm
Thank you. Have you seen an improvement in your levels with supplementing 180mg? I had heard most of that advice before except for not laying down immediately afterward. Very interesting.
mrsannie
on 11/29/11 7:11 pm
 Yes, it really improved.  I didn't know much of this.  I used to have a yogurt then take my iron, and I wasn't taking enough so I was shoting myself in the foot.

Good luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
PatXYZ
on 11/28/11 11:19 pm
Quick question for you. Did your hematologist mention if the iron absorption is more efficient if split into two doses or is taking one mega-dose just as good?
newyorkbitch
on 11/28/11 11:57 pm
Just be aware that for many DSers, no matter how much oral iron you take or what form,  it is not enough,  and iron infusions are necessary.  I am 11.5 years post op and I get two series of infusions per year - nothing else helps.

PatXYZ
on 11/29/11 5:20 am
Thank you. I completely understand that this may be necessary and I'm committed to doing whatever is necessary for my health.